Preserving history and the memories of Dr. Miyazaki is one of the goals the Miyazaki House Society. Through the leadership of Mariko Kage we've filmed people who knew Doctor Masajiro Miyazaki and/or were his patients. Their stories and memories are being compiled into a video for the world to enjoy.
You'll love this heart warming video and be inspired by the man who was loved and respected by the residents of Lillooet and area.
During W.W.II, Dr. Miyazaki and his family were interned at Bridge River (now South Shalalth) where fellow Japanese Canadians internees, First Nations and BC Hydro employees consulted him for medical advice.
In 1944, Artie Phair met Dr. Miyazaki while taking photographs and, as Lillooet was without a doctor at the time, drafted the petition that allowed the Miyazaki family to move into the lower floor of Longford House and set up a medical office there. In 1947, Dr. Miyazaki became the legal owner of Longford House.
In 1950, Dr Miyazaki became the first Japanese Canadian to hold public office when he was elected to the Town Council. In honour of his many achievements and contributions, he was invested into the Order of Canada in 1977.
Prior to his passing in 1984, Dr. Miyazaki gifted the property to the Village of Lillooet. It is now known as the Miyazaki House and his office is preserved as he left it.